Current Bills in the Pennsylvania Legislature
1. Nurse Staffing Practices & Ratios
PONL is strongly committed to nurse staffing practices that support the provision of safe patient care. PONL endorses the autonomy of each healthcare organization to establish appropriate strategies to deliver high levels of patient care by providing safe, effective, and collaborative staffing practices. PONL is adamantly opposed to any legislation that would mandate nurse-to-patient ratios for all heath care organizations.
Read PONL's Position Statement on Nurse Staffing Practices & Ratios (updated April 2021).
Current Workplace Violence Bills in U.S. Congress
1. A Simple Prescription for Better Healthcare IDs
2. Professional Licensing Reform for Veterans, Service Members & Spouses Nursing
Includes expedited application review, initial fee waiver, use of Military Occupational Codes Crosswalk to help translate military experience into civilian licensure requirements; early submission for licensure renewals of military persons being deployed.
3. Updating International Nursing Licensure Exam Requirement
Amends the Professional Nursing Law to allow the State Board of Nursing’s approval of graduates of international professional nursing education programs to sit for the RN licensure examination, provided such programs are determined to be equivalent to that which is required in Pennsylvania.
4. Nurse Licensure Compact (NLC)
5. Violence in the Workplace/No Last Name on Badges
PONL Legislative Committee Members
Rosa Hickey, Chair